Sunday, June 26, 2022

Antiquely endevors

Gardening pairs well with wine.

Getting some results but a lot of my seeds didn't come up. I will put a few more in and see how my garden grows..

I moved the sod here..

This is where it all began...


 Good morning friends! I am having a restful day at home and have been thinking about you.

Today I would like to share my new city garden in my back yard. I have been growing little greens I clip and add to my eggs in the morning. My move to Rockford almost 4 years ago has brought me new adventures, new hunting ground for vintage goods and a home with lots of space to grow. 

My store Kate's Vintage Market has expanded to not only Etsy (Katesvintagemarket.etsy.com) but to a little antique shop in Ridgefield Illinois called Simone-Michele Antiques & Vintage at 8503 Ridgefield Rd. Crystal Lake, IL. 60012. The shop is open Wednesday through Sunday 11 to 4.  I sell my lavender from my yard in bundles plus I have a large room full of my vintage finds and a small case of my jewelry.

Back to the garden...Being the frugal gal that I am I only felt it would be practical to grow my own vegetables.  I have this little plot of land and I was growing no food on it besides tomatoes in pots. (which I happen to have scored 3 plants from my gardening neighbor at $1 a plant)

 So this spring I measured out a small 8 x 5 ft. spot in my yard and started digging up 5 inches of sod. It was labor intensive and wasn't for the faint of heart. Going in naively I decided to spread the project into a two weekends.  To add more work to my load I transplanted the sod to another part of my yard. Waste not want not right? Yikes, I paid the piper with a sore back.

When I began this garden endeavor I decided to do the garden as cheaply as possible with out over investing in wood for raised beds or buy them from the local box stores. I found the wood for the garden on Facebook market place from a guy selling it out of his garage for 1/2 the price I would buy it at the store. I added a little garden fertilizer I picked up at Walmart. There brand was really cheap and a few seeds and one rosemary plant. I got the basil plants from my grandsons preschool spring fund raiser.  I am hoping this little organic garden will provide me with lots of summer greens.

So there we have it. Wish me luck and come watch my garden grow as I post more about it. I hope it inspires you to grow food. 


No comments:

Post a Comment